In #Trending I’ll highlight and offer my opinions on any comic-related news that occurred during the week. This will included news about comic books, comic-related movies, TV shows, video games, etc. while also highlighting various Comic Book Cosplay (one female and one male). Let’s begin:
DC @ WonderCon 2013
Tons of teases/announcements at WonderCon 2013 in regards to DC Comics. Here are the highlights:
1. Guillermo Del Toro revealed that John Constantine would be the lead character in his Justice League Dark movie and that he would be recruiting other DC characters to help him in his cause. These characters would also have their backstories revealed over the course of the movie which is sounding more and more awesome with every passing month.
2. Teases from DC’s All-Access Panel: Jimmy Olsen’s parents die and leave him a billion dollars, Raven joins the Teen Titans, Kid Flash will go to his home time., Booster Gold will go to All Star Western and become the sheriff to track Jonah Hex down, Vibe will battle Kid Flash with Kid Flash’s origins finally being revealed, and Batgirl Beyond will be debuting soon in the page of Batman Beyond Unlimited.
3. Teases from DC’s New 52 Panel: Batman Year Zero will not have the iconic pearls or lamppost in regards to his origin story, Talon and Birds Of Prey will crossover, The Creeper will show-up in Katana, and the Reverse Flash is trying to kill off those connected to the Speed Force including Iris West.
4. Teases from James Robinson‘s Panel: Earth 2 will get a Starman (Ted Knight), no appearance from Ted Kord in Earth 2 or in any other series as far as he knows, a Red Arrow will appear in Earth 2, and Wildcat will make his debut after the current arc of Earth 2 concludes with Hourman to follow afterwards but not right afterwards.
Not to be outdone this week, Marvel has some reveals of their own:
1. Rumor has it that Matt Fraction will be tackling a new comic starring the Inhumans which will be spinning out of his current run on Fantastic Four and will be reminiscent of the television series Game of Thrones. There’s hope internally that this could lead to a live action Inhumans movie based on the new concept. I’ve never been much of a fan of the Inhumans but with Fraction on board, he could change my mind.
2. Their next big event book, Infinity, will consist of six issues starting in August by the team of Jonathan Hickman, Jim Cheung, Jerome Opena and Dustin Weaver. Marvel’s official description is as follows: “Earth has been marked as an “Avengers World”, protected by Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and more from the deadliest threats facing humanity. A powerful and destructive race is on a collision course with Earth and the only thing in their path is the Avengers! But even Earth’s Mightiest Heroes realize the one hope of defeating this dire threat is to unite every great hero across the cosmos…because only with a united Avengers Universe is there any chance of survival! With our heroes at the other end of the universe, who is left to protect Earth? Enter Thanos, the galaxy’s most ruthless threat and an unparalleled force of brutality who brings order to the chaos of life through murder. The greatest threat to the Mad Titan’s work—and perhaps the universe’s greatest hope—is something he created leaving no world safe. Earth’s last hope may lie in the hands of a man who can level cities with a single whisper – Black Bolt, king of the Inhumans. But can the fearsome leader of a race hated and feared by his world, lead his people against Thanos? If they fall, so does the Earth—and the entire universe with it.” Sounds great!
3. Yet another new Avengers title will launch in July entitled Avengers A.I. and is coming to us from the team of Sam Humphries and Andre Araujo. Marvel’s statement: “A brave new world is unleashed and only one team of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes can save us from the future. Gathered together by Hank Pym, The Vision leads Victor Mancha, Doombot, and the mysterious Alexis in a race to contain an unfathomable Pandora’s Box of destruction! And which side will Monica Chang, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., find herself on?” I’m personally a tad bit iffy on this series.
4. Another series launching in July and consisting of five issues is that of Superior Carnage from Kevin Shinick and Stephen Segovia. Editor Sana Amanat revealed: “This is a Carnage story that will send shivers down the backs of anyone who reads it. What Kevin and Stephen have planned for the character is unlike any Carnage story that’s come before it, and surely will be one that will have fans demanding more of when it’s all said and done. Want to know why people love Carnage so much? Jump on here.” I’m iffy on this one as the last “Carnage” event was awful.
5. Finally, also in July is a new series from Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber called the Superior Foes of Spider-Man. The series stars Shocker, Boomerang, Speed Demon, the Beetle, and Overdrive. Spencer had this to say: “This is a book about the working class guys; these are not the Kingpins or Green Goblins or Doc Ocks of the world. These are the small-time crooks looking for a quick score so they can pay their alimony and get the loan shark off their back. A lot of the book is from Boomerang’s perspective, and he’s very much aware of that—and he sees this new Sinister Six he’s formed as one last big shot at real money and real power. He’s got a lot riding on this.” Sign me up!
Bruce TimmThe driving force of DC’s Animated division, Bruce Timm, is leaving his post as producer to pursue “other projects”. He’ll be replaced by James Tucker who had this to say about DC’s current state: “I’d love to use more of a variety of characters, but that’s something I don’t have control over. Granted Dark Knight Returns was long overdue to be adapted and I’m glad they did it and did it superbly. But beyond that, I’m not really interested in replicating, image by image, word for word, something that was in a comic book, because you can’t replicate that experience or feeling. You’re basically getting a secondary experience, so you have to make it your own in order to make it work as a movie… Our challenge is that people want us to do these other characters, but if they don’t sell that threatens the whole line. So the way to do it is to be smart. If we know we’re going to use Superman, Batman and the Justice League, how do we use them as gateways to these other characters? If Batman, Superman and Justice League bring in the average person who’s not a comic book fan, once you have them you insert a Huntress or a secondary character like Oracle as a means of introducing them to more of the world. But you’re not going to be able to do an Oracle movie.” What exactly Timm will be working on is a mystery but regardless this is a sad day indeed for me. I grew up like a lot of kids on his Batman: The Animated Series, a series that cemented my love of the character. I wish him the best of luck and I hope to see his next masterpiece, whether it be DC or something else entirely, fairly soon. You will be missed…
DC/IDW CrossoverFirst came the tease: Mark Waid would be writing a crossover with The Rocketeer and another character. Then came my hope it would be the Spirit, the character that instantly came to mind for me. Finally came the reveal: my wish had come true! Coming in July, written by Waid, drawn by Paul Smith, and four issues long…it’s The Rocketeer/The Spirit: Pulp Friction. So awesome, I can’t believe this is actually happening! I’m down for this for sure! Can you tell I’m excited?
Movie Casting News Negotiations are still taking place but it looks like the frontrunner to play Gamora in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie is none other than Zoe Saldana (Star Trek, Avatar). Fantastic news indeed and I’m crossing my fingers that it all comes together! Also, Will Arnett (Arrested Development) has joined the cast of Ninja Turtles playing an unspecified role that is definitely not Casey Jones. I have no clue who he could be…
And that concludes #Trending. Thoughts on any subjects discussed? Anything else worth mentioning? Comment below!