In #Trending, Sam will highlight and offer his opinions on any comic-related news that occurred during the week. This will included news about comic books, comic-related movies, TV shows, video games, etc. including sharing any hot trailers that were released. Let’s begin:
This past week, DC has seen a lot of controversy and outcry of a variant cover for Batgirl #41. The cover features Batgirl terrorized in the hands of the Joker, in an attempt to pay homage to ‘The Killing Joke’. This depiction has sparked a huge debate amongst comic readers, with criticism for highlighting one of the darkest moments in Batgirl’s history, made especially worse with the recent revamping of the series to attract younger viewers.
DC has since decided not to publish the variant, at the request of the artist Rafael Albuquerque, who said in a statement, “My intention was never to hurt or upset anyone through my art. For that reason, I have recommended to DC that the variant cover be pulled.”
Captain America: Civil War Synopsis Revealed
With the third installment of the Captain America series set to begin filming in April, a casting announcement was made, alongside our first look at the synopsis:
“Following the events of Age of Ultron, the collective governments of the world pass an act designed to regulate all superhuman activity. This polarizes opinion amongst the Avengers, causing two factions to side with Iron Man or Captain America, which causes an epic battle between former allies.”
1) New Age of Ultron TV Spot: A brand new TV spot for the upcoming Avengers sequel features more new material, including Hawkeye and Quicksilver speaking for the first time.
2) New Daredevil trailer: Marvel has given us another peek at the upcoming Daredevil series with a new motion poster. This time featuring the entire cast surrounding Charlie Cox’s Matt Murdock as he walks to the centre. See if you can spot all the characters.
3) Deadpool production begins with character reveal: Ryan Reynolds has tweeted out the first photo from behind the scenes of Deadpool. Morena Baccarin also tweeted out a similar photo, revealing her character’s name (which had been kept secret until now), Copycat/Vanessa Carlysle. TJ Miller has also confirmed that he will be playing Weasel; Deadpool’s friend and arms dealer.
4) Black Adam in Justice League: Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson has hinted in the past that his character, Black Adam, could appear across DC’s upcoming film slate. He discussed the possibility of becoming a member of the Justice League, jokingly saying “He [Black Adam] will become an anti-hero, but first, daddy’s got to go to work.”
5) Jim Parsons wants to be The Riddler: Big Bang Theory star Jim Parsons has proclaimed his desire to play the Batman villain, the Riddler in a recent interview.
6) Universal picks up Chrononauts: This week marked the debut of Mark Millar’s new series, Chrononauts, and already Universal Pictures have opted for a movie adaptation. The series follows the bromance of two scientific geniuses as they embark on a journey through the space-time continuum.
7) Jackie Earle Haley for Suicide Squad?: Umberto Gonzalez from Latino Review seems to be getting many rumours regarding DC’s upcoming movies; his latest one being that Watchmen’s Rorschach, Jackie Earle Haley is being considered for the role of the Thinker.
And that concludes this week’s edition of #Trending. Thoughts on any subjects discussed? Anything else worth mentioning? Comment below!
Feature Written By: Sam from SuperTeamAU